Information for Canadian Buyers in Palm Springs
The real estate purchase process for Canadian buyers in the U.S., and here in the Palm Springs area is fairly straightforward.
A Straightforward Purchase Process for Canadians
Investing in a second home here in the Palm Springs area is not complicated for a Canadian citizen. Our goal is to help you through the process. From discovering your property to negotiating the best price and terms possible, we will have your back and with our experience we will help you transition the process smoothly.
Canadian home buyers usually don’t need a U.S. Social Security number, just a valid passport. There are a few forms that we will help you complete. An attorney is usually not needed in California since our Palm Springs area escrow, and title teams are trained and they have extensive experience in serving Canadian clients.
Historically Low Palm Springs Area Real Estate Prices
Properties in the Palm Springs area continue to offer great values compared to just a few years ago. And compared to most metro areas many Canadian buyers are pleasantly surprised by the values that are available here in the Coachella Valley.
Reasonable Palm Springs Area Property Taxes
In California the property taxes are 1.25% of the appraised value of the purchased property. The new appraised value of your property will be set at the new purchase price, even if the previous value of the property had been higher. And this property tax does not increase while you own your home.
Annual property tax payments here are split into two equal payments and paid semi-annually. If you are purchasing your property with a loan, you can request that your lender add the property taxes to your loan payment each month (called impounding), thereby making the tax payments for you.
No PST, GST or HST Tax AND A Variety of Ways for Canadians to Structure Ownership
Canadian buyers have a choice of how they choose to title ownership to their Palm Springs area property. Cross-border trusts have become popular to help minimize taxes, especially for higher net worth buyers. Some buyers put their title in their personal names while others prefer to use existing corporations or LLP’s. For further assistance with these matters we will recommend specialists to help you navigate the process.
No Realtor Fees for Canadian Buyers
In most real estate transactions in the Palm Springs area, the home seller pays our Realtor service fee for resale or new construction homes, condos and land.
Mortgages for Canadian Buyers in Palm Springs
Mortgages are readily available here in the desert for Canadian homebuyers. When financing, a Canadian buyer will just usually need to establish a U.S. bank account before submitting an application.
The financed property must also be a second home or an investment property – not a primary residence. The Huston Group have several mortgage company referrals for Canadian buyer loan programs.
Additional Information for Canadian Buyers
- Choosing A Buyer’s Agent To Help You: One of the smartest things Canadian buyers can do before beginning to look at Palm Springs area homes or luxury condos is to choose a local top-rated real estate agent to represent your best interests.
- Ready To Buy Your Palm Springs Area Home?: The California buying process for Canadians starts by your Realtor submitting an offer on a property. Submitting an offer and buying a home are really two separate things in California.
- Comparing The Palm Springs and Phoenix Lifestyles: Many Canadians will likely compare the Palm Springs Real Estate Market with Phoenix, Arizona. In a nut shell would you prefer a metro area with four million people or a smaller desert area with about 90% less people? You can discover additional comparisons here.
- Home Owners Associations, Strata’s and Condos: Canadian Strata Association can be similar to HOA’s or Home Owners Associations here in Palm Springs.
- How Long Can Canadians Stay In Palm Springs (or the U.S.)?: Canadians can stay 182 days, or about six months when visiting the U.S.